27 May 2009

La Alhambra


I've neglected my blog over the last three weeks as mum and dad have been here with us in Spain. Together we've been exploring Madrid, but also traveling a little bit in the south of Spain and Morocco.
On this trip we visited La Alhambra in Granada. I'd never been inside before and though I'd seen many photos of the interior spaces I wasn't prepared for the overwhelming beauty of the Palacios Nazaríes. The spaces are so calm and meditational, your eyes are drawn both inward and upward solely by the design ... amazing! By the end of the visit I was completely converted to Islam, architecturally speaking anyway.

I was also looking forward to seeing the painted tiles,which inspired the designs of M. C. Escher, the repeat patterns in which there are no empty spaces.



No comments:

Post a Comment

you might also like ...

Related Posts with Thumbnails