14 October 2009

Sun Necklace Pattern


Here is the pattern (crochet and beading) for the Sun Necklace above. It's quite simple but to make sure it's explained clearly I've put both photos, drawings and a written explanation. If something doesn't make sense let me know.

Below is a photo and list of what you'll need.


  • 8 lengths of 2x3mm chain, each 10 links long (silver, copper etc this is brass).
  • 1 length of 2x3mm chain, 23 links long.
  • 1 length of 2x3mm chain, 4 links long.
  • 4 x 1.3cm diameter beads
  • 8 x 0.8cm diameter beads
  • 1 x feature bead
  • Clasp
  • Headpins for rings and to go through and join beads.
  • Crochet Motif

    Note: I usually by my beads at the local bead shop as I like to see their exact size colour etc but the chain and head pins I buy through Etsy. I often find it's cheaper that way, even to post it all the way from the US to Spain.


To make the Crochet Motif

Materials
Colour 1. I use Anchor pearl cotton #12 which is finer than colour 2.
Colour 2. I use DMC cotton thread, I'm not sure what thickness? like these.
1mm hook.

(Using colour 1) ch 8, join to make a ring.
Round 1. 16dc in a circle, join.
Round 2. I'm not sure of the name of this stitch, it's like a popcorn but looks more like a petal. I'm going to describe it step by step.
chain 3 (first dc). dc in the same dc (without pulling through the last 2 loops on the hook). dc again in the same dc. ch1 (completes petal). Ch1. {dc in next dc (without pulling through the last two loops on the hook). dc again in the same dc (without pulling through the last two loops on the hook). dc again in the same dc. ch 1 (to complete petal). ch1} Repeat between {} 14 more times. Join with slip stitch, cut thread and sew in ends.
Round 3. Tie colour 2 onto ch1 space. ch3 (first dc). 2dc in same space. ch 1. {3dc in next ch1 space. ch1} Repeat between {} 14 more times. join with slip stitch.
Round 4. (Starting in ch1) ch3 (first dc). dc in next ch1. ch4 {dc in same ch1 space. dc in next ch1 space. ch4} Repeat between {} 14 more times. Join with slip stitch. Cut thread and sew in ends.
Round 5. Tie colour 1 onto space between dc, ch1 (first sc). {4sc, ch3, 4sc in next 4ch space. sc in next space (between 2dc)} Repeat between {} 15 more times. Cut and sew in ends of thread.

To give the motif some added stiffness I use a sewing needle and run some thread around to make two circles (under the crochet on the back side). Pulling the thread to the right tension and then sewing in the ends.

Below is a diagram showing what I've just described.


Now to put it all together follow the diagram and photo below.






enjoy!

I would love to see any photos : )



Note: I've amended this pattern (8th of November) to American crochet speak rather than my own strange crochet language which was my translation from the Spanish.
It should be ok now, but please let me know if there are any problems : )

Creative Commons License

8 comments:

  1. absolutely wonderful, and many thanks!, i loved so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I'm a new reader(just found your blog few days ago), but am really really inspired and impressed with your work. And, I would love to pass on the Kreative Blog Award to you. I hope you don't mind! Pop around my blog for more instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely stunning! I love your work especially the crocheted pieces. I'm definitely going to give the Sun Necklace pattern a try. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your creations as well as the patterns with us. So glad I ran across your blog. Actually found it through Ravelry. Looking forward to what's coming next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you for sharing your beautiful necklace

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to try this!! Thank you for the share!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! I would like to ask your permission if I could use the pattern to make a necklace for our cultural performance at school. :D

    ReplyDelete

you might also like ...

Related Posts with Thumbnails